Sunday 17 April 2011

Update on Wire-Free-Friday ... and I'm still wired

So last Friday didn't go so well for me, for my first Wire-Free-Friday. My phone didn't get turned off, I spent the day surfing the net looking for my ideal tranquil, retreat in the country (missing the point I think, tranquility is at my finger tips, just turn off the laptop!). And I spent the evening splayed out in front of the TV. I blame my lack of will power on the bad cold I'm suffering from.

Recently I've become aware of how toxic my environment is. I remember when I'd just given birth to the little lady and my excited husband taking photos with his phone, all I could think about was how I didn't want a mobile phone in the same room as her. Looking back on it now, I think this was a strong maternal instinct. Of course this instinct becomes covered over with everyday life until it's just a little murmur. But I am slowly learning that as a mother it's more important to hone that instinct and let everyday life be the murmur (if that makes any sense?).

I stumbled across this article with tentative research showing mobile phones may double the risk of brain tumors, scary stuff.  Then I picked up this book, Heaven on Earth, and right there in the introduction she talks about how the media negatively impacts learning for the young child in the areas of: movement; the capacity to imitate; social development; language development; and development of the imagination. I don't need to hear any more because instinctually I know it is time for me to turn off technology, walk bare foot in the grass and get my hands dirty in the garden (and I don't mean this in a hippy, dippy prancing around fields way, I mean it in a very grounded and solid, this is the only way).

And that's exactly what I spent this sunny Sunday doing. I planted a few lettuces and strawberries and picked up thousands of weeds (this is my first year really gardening and not just keeping bushes under control - so I'll let you know how my battle with the slugs and weeds go). The little lady waddled bare foot in the dirt, she even got her first nettle sting, no bother to her. And now on my laptop this evening, I feel perfectly balanced and refreshed. Of course this could all be symptomatic of a glorious sunny day. A rainy day would be far more challenging and God knows we get a lot of rainy days here.  Regardless, I say bring on next Friday, I'm ready to be wire-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get connected and leave a comment